The Social Media Basics online course has been introduced into the BBC WebWise learning resources. I have used and recommended the BBC online e-learning resources numerous times throughout the years within my work, including WebWise for IT / computer use, Skillswise for Skills for Life in Literacy and Numeracy as well as the RaW campaign to assist with Reading and Writing.
This latest addition is a welcome update as an advocate for Social Media / Networking and will allow learners to understand the various benefits and uses of the Social Media services available as well as the safety and privacy aspects. I have delivered tutor-led awareness sessions as an introduction to Social Media and this will be a useful resource to signpost learners to for additional resources as well as to complement existing course material.
The Social Media Basics course covers the following areas:
- Introduction to social media
- Get started with social networks
- Communicating using social networks
- Stay safe on social networks
- Protect your privacy on social networks
- Etiquette and libel on social networks
- Share photos and videos with friends and family
- Organise events with social networks
- Join groups and pages, forums and clubs
The BBC WebWise Social Media Basics course can be accessed by clicking here.